Tuesday, April 6, 2010

When life hands you lemons

Pray, pray, pray......

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
"Rejoice always;
pray without ceasing;
in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

My husband was laid off almost a year ago.  29 days before the birth of our youngest, in fact.  He is still looking for employment.   We moved 3 months ago to a small town where we have no family, and are 90 minutes from all our friends since the cost of living was more suitable for our situation.  It is a nice area, but we are far from our support network and from those we love.  We found out today my husband has skin cancer.  That was a tough pill to swallow.  Fortunately, it is basal carcinoma.  The 'better' one to have.  Not likely to metasticize.  'Easy' to treat.  Also, it was a dreary, rainy, grey day outside, and I tend to get a little down anyway when there is no sun or moon visible.....

Homeschool did not happen today.  We read another chapter of our current read-aloud - The Return of the King by Tolkein (Lord of the Rings Trilogy finall book).  That was it.  Really, that was all I had it in me to do. 

I KNOW God has a plan, and I fully accept His will for me and my family.  It's just that sometimes I wonder what this is all going to lead to...  We went from a 6 figure salary to below the poverty level...  Looks like this Lent is going to last just a little longer..... 

Praise God for all His wonders and blessings.  No matter what your situation is, He loves you!  Every cross is a blessing - our crosses are our opportunity to share in Christ's passion.  We can share in His act of salvation through a free acceptance of our own suffering.  Paragraph 272 of The Catechism of the Catholic Church states, "Faith in God the Father Almighty can be put to the test by the experience of evil and suffering. God can sometimes seem to be absent and incapable of stopping evil. But in the most mysterious way God the Father has revealed his almighty power in the voluntary humiliation and resurrection of his Son, by which he conquered evil. . . . "    Suffering can be sanctifying.  I am so very thankful to know this...

Tomorrow is a new day.  Praise be to God for giving me a tomorrow to look forward to!  I am going to go kiss the kids and get some sleep!  God Bless you!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your husband. I know it always seems like when you have enough, something else comes up. I pray that your burdens will be lifted in the coming days and that until then you keep making lemonade. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Billie, for the encouragement. God bless!

    ReplyDelete