Monday, April 12, 2010

2 year olds are amazing

I do not know if it is because we homeschool or if he is just really a bright kid (little of both, maybe?) but Taz is amazing us daily.  Today, he looked at the fall scene on my husband's laptop and said "orange", and kept saying it until we acknowledged him.  I have never taught him his colors.  When he wants a particular crayon, we tell him the name of the color when we hand it to him, but he rarely ever wants orange.  Usually blue and red are his preferences....  He also knows most of his letters by sight and sound....  Obviously, I have no illusions of him putting the letters together to make words at this age, but I am amazed at what he knows with no 'real' instruction....

Unfortunately, it does not stop there.  He can also work around almost any child-proofing.  It was quite frightening when we were moving and he took out the outlet covers and tried to find out what would happen when you put a screwdriver in an electrical outlet....  We have gone through 2 lazy-susan cabinet locks...  (They're not cheap, either) and the child could still get breakfast for himself if we were inclined to let him.  He loves Cheerios and the Kix....  And he loves to be helpful and give them to the baby.

I think it has just been so long since we have had a 2 year old in the house, I had forgotten how amazing they are.  They are little parakeets, repeating everything - especially seeming to repeat those things you wish they hadn't heard at a time when you wish they wouldn't speak...  Our oldest had a moment when we were out at a restaurant with my parents and brother and sister.  She dropped something on the way to the ladies room and said "Oh, shit".  When no one heard the first time (other than me - very thankful that no one else heard), she turned around and practically shouted it.

Another reason I believe in the Classical Education method of educating our children, and ourselves....  At such a young age, our brains are like sponges, just waiting to soak up every thing we can.  It isn't until we are older and can see how the things we learned connect and relate that things begin to make sense.  My husband and I are actually considering taking Traditional Logic, Memoria Press's basic logic course.  Ultimately, I want to take Logic I and II as well as Rhetoric.  I know how to argue (debate) a point rather well, but I want to know the terminology and linguistics when I am refuting an invalid point.....  Since my oldest won't be ready for logic for 3 more years, I figure it is good to stay ahead of her - she is already a world class debater and negotiator....    Also, it will help the kids to learn to think, and see fallacies in media and not fall prey to propaganda...  Hopefully.....

No comments:

Post a Comment