Friday, April 16, 2010

It's been awhile...

OK, I know I have been slacking a bit here with my blog entries....  I have started a secondary blog - which seems to have become my primary blog.  I am - how do I say this? - overweight, fat, obese...  There are many words to choose from, but the bottom line is I need to reduce my bottom line.  As of a week and a half ago, I weighed over 300 pounds.  My other blog is chronicling my weight loss journey...  Really, it is more of a conversion to a healthier lifestyle.....

So why am I writing about that here?  It occurred to me that us moms are so busy caring for the other members of the family, we frequently forget (or just plain fail) to take care of ourselves....  When you take a flight anywhere and the flight attendants go through their little safety ditty, the one thing they say when talking about the air masks is to make sure your own mask is on and secure BEFORE you assist others in securing their mask.  That's because they have to remind us that if we're not conscious, we cannot take care of others....   I'll take that to a not-so-obvious level....  If we fail to take care of ourselves, how can we be in a condition to handle whatever life throws at us?
1 corinthians 6:19-20 tells us:
19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

While the verse is specifically referring to sexual immorality, that is not the only way to read it.  If our body belongs to God, and we are to honor Him with it, then ANYTHING that is harmful to our body should be avoided.  If our body is HIS, we MUST take care of it and treasure it as the wonderful sacred gift it is....  Overeating, or being overweight to an unhealthy extent is failing to to do just that...

No more excuses.  I am going to take care of me so that I can take care of my children, and hopefully have enough health and life to play with my grandchildren!

Lord, You invite all who are burdened to come to you.

Allow Your healing Hand to heal me.
Touch my soul with Your compassion for others;
touch my heart with Your courage
and infinite Love for all;
touch my mind with Your Wisdom,
and may my mouth always proclaim Your praise.
Teach me to reach out to You in all my needs,
and help me to lead others to You by my example.

Most loving Heart of Jesus,
bring me health in body and spirit that I may serve You with all my strength.
Touch gently this life which you have created, now and forever.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment