Sunday, April 11, 2010

What to do.....

I am looking ahead for our homeschool curriculum...  I am in a quagmire....

I strongly believe in following the classical model of education.  I have just discovered a wonderful book called "The Latin Centered Curriculum" by Andrew A Campbell.  It explains the history of classical education from the Ancient Greeks through its present revival.  It also has curriculum suggestions.  I am reading it and Crunchy CONS simultaneously, and am only in the beginning of this book.  I have most of what we are doing for next year, but I am stuck for a writing program....  I love the approach of Classical Writing.  Their method seems solidly classical.  I also like IEW's Teaching Writing and Student Writing Intensive....  I am not even sure where to go for good comparisons.  I have heard rave reviews and IEW's writing program, but the book I am reading recommends Classical Writing.  Now I do not want to be a lemming and use that just because a book recommends it.  That being said, I respect the author of the book as knowledgeable, and the people I know who recommended the book to me.  So do I really want to try to reinvent the wheel?  Anyway, I am leaning towards the Classical Writing as of now.....   We'll see.....  I suppose some time, and praying for guidance, and things will sort out.  Either way, the program I choose, I am going to be with it for at least 2 years....  It's a big decision....

No comments:

Post a Comment