Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

We were at Confession last Saturday and the Priest gave my husband the Little Black Book.  This particular Little Black Book is not an address book, but a Lenten reflection book that walks the reader through the Passion of Mark.  Each day has 6 minute meditations that started last Sunday and will continue through Easter Sunday.  

On the second day, I learned something new about the fasting required during Lent.  (I suppose it didn't take long because I am not a great scholar on such matters...)  In the early Church, the number of days of fasting prior to Easter varied.  Some places has as little as a couple days, while other places had up to a week.  Over time, the period of fasting became longer and longer and by the mid-fourth century, Lent began 6 weeks before Easter on the first Sunday of Lent.  Because fasting was not allowed on Sundays, there were not a full 40 days of fasting.  To make the fast 40 days long, the Church added the days from Ash Wednesday through the Saturday before the first Sunday of Lent.  

So, in the early Church, people didn't give up things like candy or pop or video games.  Not to belittle those sacrifices (I know personally that they are quite challenging), but how much more difficult would it be to observe an actual 40 day Lenten fast?  I know I sometimes grumble (internally, and I am not proud to admit it, but it does, sometimes, occur) at the one day here and there we are required to do....  but really....  40 days?!?  

We were talking about Operation Rice Bowl with the children today and we all did a bit of thinking on the fact that 2/3 of the world's population lives on 1/2 bowl of rice a day.  They get 1/2 bowl of rice, and I complain (sometimes) about eating 1 full meal, no snacks between meals, and 2 little meals that put together still don't equal one full meal.    Really, when you put it that way, it seems ridiculous to complain about being hungry - ever....  How Blessed we are that we have the opportunity to fast and share the pangs of hunger with our brothers and sisters!  How lucky we are to this incredible spiritual tool!  (Some demons can only be driven out by prayer and fasting (see Mark 9:17-29) - how powerful an aid fasting is! ) 

So, to make a long story short (too late!) what did I learn?

I learned that I take many things for granted and need to remember to be thankful for all of my Blessings!

Happy Lent and God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment