Sunday, February 14, 2010

Parenthood



Taz was truly a terror at Mass this morning....  First of all, he was playing with the cute little blond-haired girl that sits 2 rows behind us.  She would look under the pew, so he'd lay down on the floor and look under the pew, then she'd look over the seat back of the pew, and he'd pop right up and look at her there.  This continued for some time...  The they started laughing, she had this cute little girl laugh, and Taz had this hearty 2 year old loud boy laugh...  Would have been darling anywhere else.  Anyway, when I tried to grab him to remind him to be quiet, he threw an absolute fit....    I had to take him to the back and "have a talk with him".

This child has known how to go down stairs by himself since he was 11 months old, could get around any childproofing you try to hinder him with for about 6 months now, can put all the shapes in the little Tupperware shape sorter within 60 seconds, and watches his big sibs do something once or twice and usually does it himself shortly thereafter...

Ever watch Parenthood?  The kid that put on the football helmet and rammed his head into the wall...  Yeah, that's our Taz - on a calm day....  Funny thing is the older 2 were singing in the choir today, so we just had Taz and Peanut with us, both of whom got loud at precisely different points (and when you sit in the front row so the kiddos can see what's going on, loudness is a bit distressing...).  The Priest was a wonderful retired Priest who came to our Parish to say Mass (we've been without a parish Priest for 4 months) and after Mass he approached me and told me how wonderful and beautiful my children are.  

Since I wasn't really feeling the "wonderfulness" at the moment, the comment made me realize that yes, my babies are pretty wonderful, and I am so Blessed and thankful for them...  I may not be able to control their actions or behavior, but I can certainly control how I react - and that isn't only true of responding to our babies, but to everyone we come into contact with...  Now I just need to figure out how to control how I react to my parents, and all will be copacetic....  I humble thanked the Priest for his comment, and then I thanked God for the gentle reminder.....

No comments:

Post a Comment