Friday, July 4, 2014

Buddy's Favorite Seafood Dinner

I had scallops in the freezer.  I had never before even eaten scallops - ever.  I had, therefore, never cooked them either.  I had them in my freezer for awhile.  They intimidated me, to be honest....  One night, I was feeling particularly creative, so after assessing the contents of fridge and pantry, I had an idea....

All I can say is that everyone had seconds, would have had thirds if gluttony was in vogue ;)

Buddy, aka Mr Picky, said he wants this for his birthday dinner.  THAT makes a mom feel good....

Best thing about it, it was S-I-M-P-L-E, and yet with the right sides, elegant enough to serve guests....

All I did was to make rice - 3 cups uncooked.  While cooking it, I added a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, about 2 pinches (maybe 10-15 threads) of saffron, and about 1/4 c fresh chives (might not add them until AFTER cooking next time, the color will look better then)

While the rice was cooking, I just put the scallops (thawed and rinsed) in a deep skillet with about 2T butter.  As the scallops cooked, they release water...  Once they looked cooked (more white, not opaque-think like cooking fish), I drained a lot of the water and put in just a tad of butter and browned them just a little (careful not to go too long, or they start to stick to the pan and not come out so pretty)

To serve:

Put rice in bowl on bottom.
Cover rice with FRESHLY grated romano cheese
Top with scaallops
Add another layer of FRESHLY grated romano cheese

Serve with asparagus or artichoke for a meal that is truly inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment