Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Joy, My Frustration.....

Today was a good day.  Mostly.  Taz and Peanut were typical little boys.  They played hard AND fought hard.

My Love was late getting home.  He had a late meeting, then traffic was a bear.  While we were waiting, Princess asked me if she could read me a poem.  I said sure, figuring that since we have not "formally" taught poetry - we have read much poetry, but not actually 'taught' it - it would be a cute little thing, but not necessarily great.  I was wrong.  I loved it.  Judge if you like, read if you will:

What wet mist across my solemn face?
What breeds amongst thy quiet halls?
A new Black terror in a deep dark place
A spell sent upon a light that falls
But then arise all you worried in heart
for the light that is fading has the battle won
A Gloried God will make the darkness depart
Depart Darkness!  We have won
Thanks to the Father, thanks to the Son

So, after I read it, I asked her what is was about.  (you know, to get the author's perspective...)  She said it was her thoughts about our world turning away from God and how He will come back into it. She has an incredible heart.  Seriously, an 11 year old writing a poem about the world becoming dark without God and God expelling the darkness....

Listening to her reading that poem was truly a joyful moment.   OK, I am done.  What can I say, I am a proud mother.

That goes to show that if you expose them to enough great poetry, they are  learning.

Now, for the moment of frustration (at least today's top moment):
Taz was running around and decided to shout 'fa'.  (I think it was his war cry -today was a very heavy Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings lightsaber/sword/archery battle day) Possibly he chose 'fa' because lately everyone in the family has been singing (almost all of the) songs from The Sound of Music - the Do-Re-Mi Song and So Long, Farewell being the most frequent.  Anyway, Taz shouts 'fa', and Buddy about has a fit because he thinks Taz uttered a very different (4 letter) f word.  Taz hears Buddy telling on him and me explaining that no, it was 'fa' and decided that the attention is so great he begins running about the house shouting his new war cry at with renewed vigor.  "No running in the house!" "Fa" - only now it sounds a little suspiciously like 'fu' - I say it twice, while he is yelling too loud to hear me, and then the chase begins.  I corral him and get him to listen and then Peanut thinks this is all quite the funniest thing he has EVER seen and begins saying 'fu' too......  One thing I can say is that my boys were full of life today.

Thanks be to God for thoughtful girls and animated boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment